In October 2001, the MCCV Library at the Maltese Centre in Parkville was refurbished with funds kindly donated to the MCCV by the Newport Maltese Association. The MCCV President, Mr Victor Borg, officially re-opened the library and Mgr Joseph Grech, Bishop of Sandhurst, blessed it.
The re-fitting included new shelving, floor tiling, blinds, light fittings, glass book cases, table, chairs and desk. Originally opened in early 1985, the library now houses thousands of books and is considered to be one of the largest collections of Maltese publications in the southern hemisphere. At present 6,575 books and manuscripts are listed on the Library’s Computer database.
Except for rare books and reference books, all books and tapes may be borrowed. All books, videotapes, and radio cassettes have been entered on the MCCV computer. To borrow books one needs to obtain a membership card, which serves as Proof of Identity. A borrower must produce a valid Driver’s Licence, or similar proof of identity, to obtain a membership card. Books may be borrowed for a period of 4 weeks. Where an extension is required, one may obtain an extension by phoning the Maltese Centre. If the books
are not returned on time, a fine is imposed on the borrower for the late return.
As at the end of January 2010, the library has a total of 70 members who have access to all the reading material now available in the library.
The MCCV library is open on Thursdays from 10.00 am till 1.00pm, and Fridays from 6.00 pm till 9.00 pm, or by appointment. The MCCV Vice-President, Mr Guy Deguara, and Mr Charles Belli run the library. The contact phone number for the library is 9387 8922.
Books on Wheels
The MCCV is looking for volunteers to distribute books, videos and other reading material to our elderly people who are unable to travel to the Library at Parkville. Those interested may contact Paul Lia at the Centre during office hours on 9387 8922.
LIBRARY BOOKS CATEGORIES
Books in the library are categorised under the following main headings:
– CHILDREN (Maltese)
– CHILDREN (Englsh)
– CHILDREN (Stories)
– COOKERY BOOKS
– OLD MALTESE STORIES
– HISTORY (Malta)
– HISTORY (General)
– LITERATURE (Maltese)
– MALTESE ALBUMS
– MALTESE AUTHORS
– MALTESE STORIES
– REFERENCE BOOKS
– STORIES (Fiction-Non-fiction)
- The Maltese Community Council of Victoria Library is a private library and subject to Council regulations.
- The library will be open between 10ain and 11.30 am on Thursday and between 6.00pm and 8.00pm on Friday.
- If books need to be returned or borrowed outside these hours an appointment must be made through the MCCV office in Parkville.
- A membership card is required for borrowing books or other items from the library.
- A membership card will be issued upon completion of an application form and the production of a photo identity, e.g. driving licence or passport.
- Upon acceptance of an application, a membership card will be sent to the applicant.
- A maximum number of four (4) items only may be borrowed from the library at any one time.
- Unless prior arrangements are made borrowed items must be returned within four (4) weeks from the date of the items being borrowed.
- A fine will be payable on items that are not returned by the due date. Fines are imposed at the rate of $5 per item per week of late return.
- Membership and all borrowing rights will be suspended pending the payment of any outstanding fines and the return of the books that are overdue.
- If borrowed items are not returned within four (4) weeks after their due date, steps will be taken to recover the costs of these items or the cost of their replacement.
- Books marked “Reference only” must not to be removed from the library under any circumstances. These may only be used within the library.
- Any lost cards must be reported as soon as possible.
- No food or drink is to be consumed in the library.
- Silence in the library is expected at all times.